About Custom Boards
Ordering a Custom Board
NOT SURE WHAT SURFBOARD IS RIGHT FOR YOU? LET’S TALK
Ordering a custom surfboard can be confusing, our goal is to make it as easy as possible to get you on the board that allows you to catch the most waves and have the most fun. We are here to walk you through the process, by phone, e-mail or visit us at our shop in Ventura, Ca. Order a custom Walden Surfboard.
INFO WE NEED TO HELP DETERMINE THE BEST BOARD FOR YOU:
- Your height, weight and age
- How long you have been surfing
- Your skill level: beginner, intermediate or advanced
- What type of waves you surf on: beach break, point break or both
- What type and length of board(s) do you surf now
- What are you looking for in a custom Walden board
WHAT YOU GET WITH A CUSTOM BOARD:
- Choice of any model in our range - not all models are stocked, many are custom order only
- Almost any length you want, again we do not stock every length board
- Custom dimensions - length, width, thickness, nose and tail
- Choice of fin set up when there is an option
- Choice of color and/or design
- Extra’s like tail blocks, custom stringers, or handles
HOW ARE CUSTOM SURFBOARDS PRICED?
Our boards have a base price, determined by the model and length of the board. Any type of color and/or artwork is additional, the cost is based on the level of art. Custom parts like special stringers, tail blocks, laminates etc. are additional. There is no extra charge for custom specs. unless it requires an oversized blank. Fins are not included in the price.
HOW LONG DOES AN ORDER TAKE:
Custom orders take about 4-5 weeks. We do our best to get boards completed as soon as possible but we do not rush production if it compromises quality. All custom surfboard orders are completed in the order they were placed, we do not fast track orders nor do we guarantee finish dates.
WHAT IS REQUIRED TO START A CUSTOM ORDER:
We require a non-refundable 500.00 deposit per surfboard to start your order. The balance is due when your order is completed.
CUSTOM SURFBOARD FREIGHT COSTS:
The Freight cost depends on the length of your custom surf board and your full address. We do not mark up the cost of freight, whatever the freight costs us is what we charge you. You can order up to four boards for the same freight cost as one board.
YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- We do not start an order unless we have all the info we need from you. If you are supplying us with art, color, dimensions etc., your order is on hold until we get all that info. After 60 days your order is cancelled and your deposit is forfeited
- Completed orders must be paid for, picked up or shipped within 30 days. Unless arrangements have been made ahead of time we charge a storage fee of 15.00 a week.
- Boards left for 60 days + become the property of Walden Surfboards and deposits are forfeited
Custom Color & Art
If you want to add custom color on your board, there are several options:
Airbrush: Used for traditional surfboard art like stripes, panels, fades, flames and full color. Colors are all hand mixed, if you are trying to match a color please feel free to send us a color sample or PMS number.
Resin Tint: Created when colored pigment is added to resin. By tinting a board, you are essentially looking at the foam through a colored lens. The foam and stringer will be clearly apparent through a tint. Because the tint is transparent, and the rails of a surfboard get twice as many layers of fiberglass, there will be twice as much color saturation around the rails.
Opaque Resin: Created the same way as a tint; colored pigment is added to the resin. The only difference is, solid white non-transparent pigment is also added, making it opaque. Typically when a board is opaque, the stringers will be partially visible or non-visible depending on the color.
Resin swirl: Created with two or more colors are hand swirled together for an abstract almost marbleized effect. Every resin swirl board will be unique
If you want custom art on your board, like a logo, illustration or text there are several options depending in the size, placement, color of your art and color of your board.
Print the art on a copier: this is for small designs or logos 8 x 10 in size or smaller, this requires high contrast colors. We cannot print white or very light colors using this technique.
Inlay printing: this is for any oversized, intricate art or photos, we print the art on a special sheet that gets inlayed onto the board. Top side only.
Silk screening: this is for larger orders ( 10+ boards) for smaller logos or designs. No limitations on colors. One time set up charges per design.
FABRIC INLAY REQUIREMENTS:
If you want to use fabric on your custom board we have a lot of choices on our wahine page or you can choose your own. We need 100% non-stretch, light weight, cotton. Fabric should not be heavier than a bed sheet. Avoid neon colors, they fade very quickly and very dark colors as they will cause your board to heat up. We only put fabric in the top of the board. We require fabric to be as long as your board + 2” and 24” wide for all boards except Mega Magic’s which require fabric to be 26” wide.
Foam & Color
A white board is painted all white so that the foam is covered, painting a board white helps keep the foam from yellowing over time. The wood stringer is partially visible.
A clear board is not painted at all, the stringer still shows as does the foam. Even though it is still technically white, we call it clear because there is no paint and the foam texture is more obvious. Clear boards tend to yellow quicker over time n the sun.
P/U also known as a poly or polyurethane is the most versatile blank, we can use virtually any color or paint technique on a P/U blank.
EPS blanks have some color limitations. We recommend using lighter colors because EPS foam is more heat sensitive. We use opaque resin on EPS foam. We do not do resin tints on EPS. EPS foam has a rougher appearance than PU foam.
Custom Paint Options
Airbrushing a board is the most common and versatile way to paint a board. Almost any color can be airbrushed, the foam texture & stringer shows through.
Resin tints are created when colored tint is added to resin resulting in a semi- transparent color. The stringer shows through on most colors.
Opaque resin is created the same way as a tint; colored pigment is added to the resin. the only difference is, solid white non-transparent pigment is also added, making it opaque. Typically when a board is opaque, the stringers will be partially or non-visible.
Abstract resin is created with one or multiple colored pigments are added to resin for an abstract look. Designs can be done in stripes or swirls or a truly abstract design. No two boards are ever alike.
For most deliveries in the continental US you have three choices, home delivery, business delivery (this does not include home based businesses) or a terminal pickup. Overseas locations not listed on our website must contact us for a custom shipping quote. Not every option is available in every zip code.
- AVERAGE COST:
- REQUIRES A SIGNATURE:
- SHIPPING QUOTE IS GOOD FOR?
- MISSED DELIVERY FEE:
- WINDOW OF TIME FOR PICK UP:
- CAN I REFUSE A DAMAGED BOARD?
- Some apts., PO Box’s, remote locales
- 7 DAYS
- Military, School, Hospital, Home office
- 7 DAYS
- May not be available in every state
- 7 DAYS
- BY APPOINTMENT
Shipping Damages and Claims
Shipping damages are very rare but if damage should occur you need to know the following info:
RECEIVING YOUR ORDER:
- You must sign for and inspect your package at the time of delivery.
- If you notice any damage to the box or surfboard you must note that damage on your bill of lading. Check the box and the board carefully, sometimes a box is damaged and the board is intact or vice versa. Documenting damage at time of delivery protects you if you decide to make a claim.
- Boards with major damage in shipping should be refused.
IF THERE IS DAMAGE:
- Note damage on your bill of lading at the time of delivery
- You may not be able to make a full claim without noting damage in the bill of lading because it is considered concealed damage
- All claims must be made within 48 hours of delivery.
- Damage claims must be documented with photos
- Claims are not accepted on surfboards that are are used, or waxed.
- You must save the shipping box and packing material with the board for a claim
- If we decide to replace a board all claims have to be settled first
This is a freight company term, it means any damage that is found after your board is delivered. Freight companies do not like to reimburse for concealed damages so please inspect your board when it is delivered.
Give us a call at 805..653.1717 or e-mail us Waldensurfboards@gmail.com
Customers who experience minor damages during shipping may have their board repaired in their local area and we will pay for the repair up to 10% of the boards cost.
What qualifies as minor damage? dents, dings, and scrapes. We usually see these in the size range of 1-3” This kind of damage is usually very easy to fix.
To qualify, Walden Surfboards must receive:
- Notice of the damage within 48 hrs of delivery.
- Digital photos of the damage
- A quote for the repair before the repair is started
In the very unlikely event that your board is catastrophically damaged you may refuse the shipment, you will be fully refunded once we receive your order back from the shipper.
If you do not refuse the shipment you can make a claim with the shipper within 48 hours of receipt of shipment. Boards must be unwaxed and unused. Surfboard claims will not be accepted if boards have been ridden.
If you did not note damages on the bill of lading at time of delivery you may not get fully reimbursed for your claim. All shippers